[LinuxPPS] PPS on kUbuntu 10.10 not ok?

Remco dB besten at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 01:22:35 CET 2012

Hello all,

Having been a relatively active 'beta tester' for LinuxPPS a few
years ago, I recently ran into an issue which I can't figure out.

One of my machines, which has LinuxPPS compiled into the kernel  (2.6.34),
'lends' a PPS signal from one of my GPS-receivers, and ntpd (4.2.7p32) syncs
perfectly. Sync status is '2007' (pll ppsfreq ppstime nano, no I did
not implement the AGO patch/implementation that time ; -) and is in lock
within a few usecs.

So far so good.

I have a desktop machine, running kUbuntu 10.10 (2.6.35), and didn't/don't
want to fiddle too much with it, I used the 'black box' approach and synced it
to a DCF77 receiver. I use the pulse as PPS signal (knowing that I
miss one pulse every minute, but afaik the ATOM driver doesn't 'know' that ;-)

ldattach pps /dev/ttyS0 gives me proper PPS stamps and loads the
pps_ldisc and pps_core modules automagically too.

I took both Rodolfo's and Alex's timepps.h and (re)compiled ntpd (4.2.7p32).
After a while ntpd syncs to the ATOM (PPS) signal and ntpd stays in lock
within a few ms.
At the time I did this, I was quite satisfied with this result and apperantly
did not check the 'lock' in more detail.

Recently I noticed that the 'lock status' was 2001 (pll nano), from which
I concluded that there is/was no PPS kernel discipline.

This is confirmed with ntpq -crv, which does not give the 'kern' parameter.

What did I do wrong?

Kind regards,

Remco