[LinuxPPS] PPS SC16IS7X2

Nial Peters nonbiostudent at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 13:55:13 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I have been struggling to get PPS from a Garmin GPS to feed into NTPD via LinuxPPS on an ARM board. I have followed the instructions on the LinuxPPS wiki and everything looks good up until I run the ppstest program. No PPS pulses are detected (and the /sys/class/pps/pp0/assert and clear files only have one line in them full of zeros). If I put an LED on the GPS PPS line, then I can see the pulses coming in, so that bit is working. Also, if I load the ktimer module, then ppstest works fine. After some digging around, I discovered that the serial port that I am using is being run by a SC16IS7X2 driver (which apparently is some type of i2c to serial converter). Is that likely to be my problem and if so, is there any hope?!

Thanks a lot,
Nial