[LinuxPPS] PPS SC16IS7X2

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Thu Oct 11 16:40:11 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 02:25:53PM +0000, Nial Peters wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> > I suppose it lacks PPS support. See function uart_handle_dcd_change in
> > serial_core.c.
>
> uart_handle_dcd_change seems to be defined inline in serial_core.h for some reason. There are no calls to it inside the sc16is7x2.c file, so I guess you are right - no pps support :(
>
> Is this something that would be relatively easy to patch into the sc16is7x2 driver? I'd be willing to have a go at this, but other than a basic grasp of C I am pretty clueless so would need some pointers. Would it be as simple as adding calls to uart_handle_dcd_change function to the sc16is7x2.c file?

Which kernel version are you referring to? I'm currently NOT found
file sc16is7x2.c into vanilla tree... :'(

I think you should add support for calling dcd_change TTY's
method. See function uart_handle_dcd_change into file serial_core.c.

> Otherwise, would my best option be to put the GPS PPS line onto a GPIO pin and try using the pps-gpio client?

This could be another solution but you need to modify your hardware!

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti
Freelance ICT Italia - Consulente ICT Italia - www.consulenti-ict.it