[LinuxPPS] Kernel configuration etc.

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Mon Oct 29 10:55:39 CET 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 08:00:48PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> I have a few queries regarding compilation of the PPS kernel, which are
> not clear from the Wiki.
>
> The example from the menuconfig always shows PPS Support as a module. Is
> there any reason that it should not be compiled in? If so can I compile
> in the 8250 driver?

You can compile in with no problems. Yes, you can compile in the 8250
driver.

> If I compile in the PPS debugging messages I get regular output to the
> screen about 'events'. Are these GPS 'events' (i.e. NMEA data) or PPS
> 'events' (i.e. one second clock ticks) or both. Is there any way to
> switch off this debugging information other than by recompiling?

No.

> I am also assuming that if I recompile the kernel from the same source
> there is no need to redo the links in the userland tools.

Userland links are not kernel related but the proper major and minor
numbers. However udev should manage them for you.

> I am having problems seeing the assert and clear events, but I would
> like to clear up these queries first.

This could be a GPS antenna issue...

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127