[LinuxPPS] any hardware folks out there?

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Mon Dec 22 21:03:46 CET 2008

Ive had some strange behaviour on my main machine here over the last
month/6weeks
and perhaps someone can give me a clue as to whats going on.

Ive been running ntp on this machine forever (its a 3.2GHz Pentium).

About 6weeks ago, linuxPPS/ntpd stopped working,- there was no pps signal.
Yet plugging the same ONCORE into the next machine down was fine.
So there was signal on the line, the machine was not seeing it.

After puzzling this for a couple of weeks, I decided the simplest solution
was to buy a new tty card,- mabe something REALLY had gone bad in the tty
circuit on this motherboard.

So I got a new 4 port board, and everything was fine for a couple of weeks
and then PPS died there too...  OK thats too much of a coincidence.
I plugged into a different port on the 4port board and everything was fine.
Went back to the original port and its fine again too.

I have yet to try the port on the motherboard.

Ive used linuxPPS with and with out IRQ support during this time,
and Ive been testing 64bit linux, tho I run 32bit 99% of the time.

So any thoughts on why I would NOT see PPS signals on DCD, and then
magically have them reappear.   Cabling DOES seem to be ok, since I
tried a separate cable from the 2nd port on the Tac2/ONCORE, with
the same negative results.

Im just puzzled (and expect the problem to reappear) and hoping for
some brilliant thought on whats going on...
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com