[LinuxPPS] kernel does not see PPS on serial port

Cirilo Bernardo cirilo.bernardo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 12:51:30 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:45 PM, LICHTENBERGER Janos <lityi at sas.elte.hu> wrote:

>  >
>  > I'm pretty sure you have to modify the NTPD driver.
>  >
>  > Since LinuxPPS 2.0.0 several changes has been done aven on RFC
>  > interpretation! :)
>  >
>  > All NTPD drivers now should support the "alternate PPS device", this
>  > allows fully compatibility with LinuxPPS.
>
>  Well, if this is true (and I believe you) I'm in great trouble, because I
>  have no expertize neither in ntpd refclocks nor in their patching. As I
>  mentioned,  I found the patch  - if not in your page, probably somewhere
>  on the net, but it was almost 3 years ago...
>
>  >

>  Ciao,

3 years ago?  That will probably not be Rodolfo's new RFC-compliant Linux_PPS.

We need to determine if the problem is with NTPD or earlier.  While
'cat /dev/ttyS0 &'  (or whatever ttyS* your GPS is on) is running,
check the sysfs interface to see if pps_core has created the pps0
device and is recording new events.  If it is, then the problem is
with the NTPD refclock drivers.  If pps_core is not seeing events,
then something may be disabling your UART modem control lines. (Are
there any serial port configuration experts here?)

- Cirilo