[LinuxPPS] PPS next steps...

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Fri Feb 20 10:43:53 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 04:30:03AM -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> Rodolfo Giometti <giometti at enneenne.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:47:50PM -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> > LinuxPPS interface seems quite accepted by everyone and changing it
> > again just right now may get some NACKs... that's why I asked to you
> > to ask to them before doing it.
> >
> > OTOH, if you are sure that what you are doing is so correct that
> > nobody may object anything, it's ok for me too.
>
> On the detail of the output format, I'm pretty sure nobody else cares,
> but you specifically did care, and you specifically didn't like the
> format I ended up implementing.
>
> As I said at the time,
> >> Should I go ahead anyway (using my format which you don't like) and we'll
> >> argue about the format later?
>
> Well, it's later now.  I have no objections if you've changed your
> mind and think it's okay now, but I don't want to try to sneak anything
> past you.

I didn't change my mind, maybe I explained wrong what I have in it. :)

Let me try again (sorry for my english).

Current LinuxPPS interface (ioctl()) seems accepted by everyone and it
does its job correctly, so adding a new interface it seems to me not
useful... or, even if it's useful, I think it's risky since some
kernel guru may say: "NACK, due this fact!" and blocks inclusion.

So IMHO, I think that if you have something to fix, ok do it! But if
you wish adding something, please, do it after kernel inclusion.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti