[LinuxPPS] Refclock for Rodolpho

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Jan 5 23:32:15 CET 2009

As most of you know Rodolpho does not have a reference clock to use for
testing.  In November I acquired some additional Oncore UT+ modules (ebay for
$15 each plus shipping which totaled about $18 each) and I sent an email to
Rodolpho offering to build him a reference clock from one of these units.
However I could not supply him with an antenna or serial cable for the unit.
With all of the components involved (Oncore, TTL to RS232 converter, wire, ply
wood for the box, connectors ...) it costs me about $40 to build one of these
not including my labor.

He replied that he was interested but did not have an antenna although he did
have a serial cable.  Because he did not have an antenna he could not accept
the unit at that time.  The unit I was working on for Rodolpho is now
connected to my step son's computer and is working nicely.

I have more modules and a supply of most of the components and materials
needed to build another unit.  And I will be putting together another refclock
over the next week or so.  Again if Rodolpho wants this unit it is his but if
not it will be a spare unit for me.  However he still needs an antenna to be
able to use it.  If anyone here has an antenna that will work that they would
like to donate to Rodolpho please let it be known since I would like to get
Rodolpho a working reference clock at some point.

The Oncore needs an amplified antenna with an MCX connector but I can also put
an MCX to BNC pigtail on the refclock's rear panel if that is what someone
has.  Actually using the BNC connector would be preferred since this would
also create a build in strain relief since the connector would be anchored to
the rear panel.   The gain at the receiver connector needs to be between 10db
and 33db according to the Oncore manual.  Almost any amplified antenna with
the right connector should work even one of those patch antennas if it can be
placed near a south facing window or, better still, outside with a clear view
of the south sky.

Hal