[LinuxPPS] unofficial Test patch for linux v2.6.30-rc6

William S. Brasher billb958 at door.net
Wed May 20 16:14:13 CEST 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> William S. Brasher wrote:
> > I have installed kernel 2.6.30-rc6 patched with ntp-pps-v2.6.30-rc5
>
> I.e.: the patch that Rodolfo posted here.
>
> > and pps seems to be working fine with ntp-4.2.4p7 and glibc-2.9.
> >

> > The first time I ran ppsldisc I got the following in the logs:
>
> Hmm. Are you sure ppsldisc, etc were compiled with the same code as the patch?
> (I mean, ppsldisc was not lying around from a previous release?)
>
> This WARNING thingie did not reappear? And if you reboot?
> Maybe just use `ldattach 18 /dev/ttyS0` instead to see if the ppsldisc or
> LinuxPPS code is at fault?
>

> Udo

The programs ppsldisc et al were compiled in the Document/pps directory
after the kernel had been built.  The only header in /usr/include/linux
from this new kernel was /usr/include/linux/pps.h; the rest of the kernel
headers in /usr/include came from linux-2.6.28.9.  I also moved a copy of
timepps.h from Documentation/pps to /usr/include.

Finally, I modified  include/linux/timex.h in the kernel source to change
SHIFT_PLL from 4 to 2.

The new, patched ntp-4.2.4p7 was also built with the new headers in place.

The first time I booted the new kernel and started ppsldisc I received
that warning in the logs.  I have rebooted  that machine since then and
both pps and ntp started on boot, and did not generate any warnings.

That is actually a lot better that previous versions of the patch:  for
some reason I've been unable to uncover, yet, ntp/pps tends to hang on my
machines and require manual operator intervention to get started.  That
would appear to be a problem with ntp-4.2.4p6, since I've had the same
problem with 2.4 kernels.

On the last boot pps and ntp started 'automatically' and within 30 minutes
ntpq -d reported:

     remote   refid      st t when poll reach   delay  offset  jitter