[LinuxPPS] New (beta) patchset for kernel 2.6.31

Luca Bertagnolio time at berta.com
Thu Sep 17 10:54:10 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Rodolfo Giometti <giometti at enneenne.com> wrote:
> I rewrote the PPS_IRQ_EVENTS support and I need to know if it still
> works.
>
> Please test it and report results.

OK, I did not select the IRQ option during kernel and modules
compilation, so that
test will need to wait for a while.

I just finished doing some testing using ntp-4.2.4p7 patched with the NMEA PPS
patch, starting from the Gentoo portage file and adding the old patch
file, which I
verified being still applicable to ntpd/refclock_nmea.c on ntp-4.2.4p7.

ntpd compiled OK, runs fine, syslog shows that both /dev/gpspps0 and /dev/gps0
are recognized during startup, yet I am flooded with these messages in syslog:

Sep 17 10:46:23 dex PPS_FETCH: source 0
Sep 17 10:46:23 dex timeout 0.000000000
Sep 17 10:46:23 dex PPS_FETCH: source 0
Sep 17 10:46:23 dex timeout 0.000000000
Sep 17 10:46:24 dex PPS_FETCH: source 0
Sep 17 10:46:24 dex timeout 0.000000000
Sep 17 10:46:25 dex PPS_FETCH: source 0
Sep 17 10:46:25 dex timeout 0.000000000
Sep 17 10:46:25 dex PPS_FETCH: source 0
Sep 17 10:46:25 dex timeout 0.000000000

Not sure if I should be seeing anything different here... but this
does not look fine to me!

Off to other tasks for today!

Ciao, Luca